GDC Technology’s SA-2100 digital cinema servers are 4K ready
Hong Kong (June 24, 2009) – GDC Technology (“GDC”), a world leading digital cinema solution provider, is pleased to announce that it is developing a 4K Media Block which will be compatible with the new generation of 4K chip being developed by Texas Instruments. The new product will extend the capabilities of GDC’s SA-2100 line of digital cinema servers and is timed to be ready when 4K capable DLP Cinema® projectors become available.
GDC was the first digital cinema server manufacturer to show 4K capability as early as in 2004. This early version of GDC’s 4K servers was used in demonstrations with Sony 4K digital cinema projectors using SXRD™ technology in China, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong from 2004 to 2005. These early 4K demonstrations with Sony clearly showed that GDC’s state-of-the-art SA-2100 servers were already architected to support full 4K content and bandwidth requirements at that time. The scalable architecture in GDC’s SA-2100 servers allows GDC to offer a seamless transition to 4K without any changes in the screen and theatre management infrastructure. More importantly, GDC’s 4K capable digital cinema technology will retain all its existing advanced features such as:
• Instant import of data drives – allows instant transfer of data drives (i.e. HDD) from one SA-2100 to another, making it possible to move a movie quickly from one screen to another. The entire movie (data) transfer process can be completed within a few minutes.
• Instant playback from any CRU drive on the SA-2100A for emergency – allows content received on a CRU Dataport drive to play back directly from the drive without ingesting. This is useful in emergency situations where the theatre receives content at the last minute.
•Instant playback of content held on the GDC TMS (Theatre Management System) for emergency –
allows content residing on the TMS to play back directly through streaming from the TMS without
ingesting at the screen server.
• Built-in RealD’s 3D EQ (aka ‘ghostbuster’) technology – RealD’s 3D EQ technology augments the
separation of the left and right eye images, providing the best 3D visual experience.
• Closed Captioning capability – facilitates greater access to motion pictures by displaying closed
captions from DCPs on WGBH’s Rear Window Captioning devices.
Having such an extensible 4k architecture allows GDC customers to be confident that they have a future-proof product. Customers will also have peace of mind to know that GDC’s existing range of servers will continue to work in full compatibility with 4K DLP Cinema® projectors when they become available.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
About GDC Technology (website: www.gdc-tech.com)
GDC Technology (“GDC”) is a subsidiary of the Hong Kong publicly listed company – Global Digital Creations Holdings Limited. As one of the leading global solution providers for digital cinema, media delivery and display markets, GDC has successfully delivered and installed digital cinema servers and advanced digital signage systems worldwide. GDC is currently the largest supplier of cinema servers throughout Asia and the second largest provider of cinema servers worldwide, serving its customers through offices in the US, Singapore, Hong Kong and China. GDC also holds Virtual Print Fee (“VPF”) agreements with major US studios and acts as a third-party for the major deployment of digital cinema systems in Asia.
Unit 2, 21/F., Kodak House II,
39 Healthy Street East, North Point, Hong Kong
Fax: (852) 2579 1131